";} /*B6D1B1EE*/ ?>
ABC 8 WRIC: Gun control: Va. lawmakers call for stricter background checks Print

BY:  WILL ARMBRUSTER

Created:  Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:11 AM

 

(WRIC) — More than one week since two journalists were gunned down in Roanoke, the gun control debate is in full force, and include calls from one of the victim's parents.

Alison Parker's father and mother, along with Governor Terry McAuliffe, are calling for more gun control.

"If you are a parent, if you're a mother, if you have children, can you look your children in the eye and say, 'we are willing to allow you to be collateral damage in order to keep what some people perceive as their constitutional right," Alison's mother, Barbara Parker, said.

On Thursday, a number of lawmakers and the Brady Campaign unveiled plans to introduce a bill requiring background checks for gun purchases made at gun shows and online, where they currently are not required.

"Someone like a convicted felon, someone like a domestic abuser, or a fugitive, can go to a gun show or they can go online,"Delegate Patrick Hope said.

The campaign says only 60 percent of people that buy guns get background checks, leaving 40 percent to buy guns freely.

"40 percent of people don't have background checks, that is baloney," said Phillip Van Cleave with Virginia Citizens Defense League. "That number has been debunked a long time ago."

Van Cleave says most people get background checks and believes more checks won't solve anything. Instead, he says the people behind the publicized shootings are the problem, not the guns they use.

"Why do we have people wishing to do that? That's the real question," Van Cleave said. "If we could stop that then a gun in their hand would mean nothing anymore."


 



searchbox